REYNOSA, Jan. 12 - The City of McAllen has issued a Fact Sheet on the Anzalduas International Bridge Project. Here it is:
• Bridge is located in Mission, Texas south of Military Highway and Bryan Road. Crossing is three miles west of the Hidalgo-Reynosa International Bridge, off of Military Highway and Anzalduas Highway (FM 396).
• Anzalduas is the closest international crossing to Mexico City and Monterrey. Route will reduce travel time to Monterrey by 30-45 minutes.
• Anzalduas International Bridge has four entrance lanes, including a SENTRI Lane in the United States. Bridge span is 3.2 miles (5.1 KM) from port to port and features 4 lanes, two safety bump-out spaces, and a pedestrian walkway. Lanes elevated to preserve nearby U.S. Fish and Wildlife Refuge.
• Anzalduas is a joint public project between the cities of McAllen, Mission, Hidalgo and Granjeno, TxDOT, the federal government (GSA) and the Republic of Mexico worth over $100 million dollars.
• In Texas, the Anzalduas International Bridge connects to the McAllen Foreign Trade Zone, where more than 410 companies are based; and the Sharyland Plantation, a 6,000 acre residential, industrial and retail development.
• Dozens of multi-national corporations are located in state of the art industrial areas near Anzalduas’ entry in west Reynosa, MX. The companies include: Nokia, Matsushita, Black and Decker, Fujitsu, Seimens, Corning, TRW and Symbol Technologies
• Anzalduas International Bridge hours of operation: 6 am to 10 pm, daily
1992-1998 Preliminary design and site location studies by Halff and Associates
1994 Wilbur Smith Associates complete traffic study
1994-1998 Review of preliminary application for U.S. Permit by U.S. federal agencies
1995 Four party agreement with federal agencies for land use at site
July 1999 U.S. Presidential Permit issued by President Clinton
Feb 2001 Initial exchange of diplomatic notes with Mexico
Fall 2003 Approval by federal agencies of construction plans
Fall 2007 June 2007, bridge groundbreaking ceremony
Fall of 2009 Anzalduas International Bridge Completed
Anzalduas Bridge Board Summary of Costs from 2007 to 2009:
Bridge Contract to Williams Bros - $28,713, 014
Toll Plaza Building & Landscaping - $3,078,014
Roadways, Drainage & Site Improvements - $3,961,122
Water, Sanitary Sewer Lines - $2,296,078
Furniture, Fixtures & Equipment - $909,011
Electrical Utilities & Lighting - $1,543,206
All other owner’s expense - $2,796,171
Grand Total - $43,296,616